Friday, January 19, 2007

One Possible Scenario Resulting From 4 Inches of Snowfall In Portland (OR)

Snow Fort


We woke up Tuesday morning to the unusual sight of a snowy blanket covering everything and lighting up our usually cavernous house with the whitest of light. (Unusual because in Portland the thermometer hovers around 42 degrees from November - March/April.) It was going to be our first and possibly only snow day of the winter. Jonah had been talking for so long about how when it finally did snow, he was going to build a "snow fort". At first, the snow was so powdery that it would not be packed into a brick or even a proper snowball. Jonah waited patiently and impatiently for a while longer...


A few hours later, Jonah and Justin had several rows of trash can bricks going around an imperfectly elliptical fort (my design - Justin would have never made an imperfect ellipse). They worked until it was almost dark and then came in to build a fire and make dinner. All while I worked on clocks, watching them through the studio windows.

On Wednesday, it was my turn. I painted and worked on clocks in the morning and then after lunch, I was out there. We worked until past dark and past time for me to be preparing dinner. This photo was taken early in the afternoon. We still had a long way to go!
It was only by sheer determination of will overcoming such challenges as hunger, fatigue and darkness that the fort has anything resembling a roof.


Here's the bizarro snow sculpture from one angle looking like a lady in a large dress with a shawl covering her head. That's Benjamin our Border Collie, thrashing with a rock he's found. He feels no pain now - being a Flagstaff dog, the snow is euphoric - but later he'll be limping.

I wanted to put up one more photo from the front of the fort, but I can't get it to upload - perhaps I've reached my limit. So, that's it for now - Happy Weekend!

No comments: