Friday, January 12, 2007

Introducing the Block Clocks

We have had a few flurries in Portland over the past few days. A true novelty experience in a city where the thermometer is mostly stuck on 42 degrees F from November through March/April. But, the sky has also been amazingly blue and the sunshine bright enough to make you cry. For these things and so much more, I am grateful!
I've had a bit of a creative surge and purge this week - a welcome feeling after the holiday blur. My latest family of clocks (12, I think) are the Block Clocks. I've made one before with the idea of making more. And, now, after looking around my studio at all the unused 3" painted squares in a variety of designs, the Block Clocks have been born. The Block Clock family is made using 3" painted squares to build a usually bright, always contemporary clock. Here are a few shots of the Block Clocks in progress...




And, here is a glimpse of one Block Clock that I'm making using Jonah's monster blocks. He wasn't interested in designing the rest of the clock, but he did paint the monsters and tell me I could do whatever I wanted with them. Naturally, I'm making a clock! We are still discussing what his cut will be when the clock sells....Any suggestions?

Happy Weekend!

No comments: